It is common knowledge that owning a car is a privilege, not a right. What you may not realize, however, is that this fact applies as much to driving the car as it does to maintaining its proper working order. Proper maintenance begins at the core, which is your car battery. Its normal lifespan is approximately 3-5 years, but different climates, modern lifestyles, and several other factors can significantly shorten that time if your battery is not cared for properly.
If you want to extend the life of your car battery, the following are a few useful tips that you can try:
- Clean the outside of the battery and its cables with baking soda, water, and a brush every few months. This prevents corrosion.
- Maintain the appropriate water level – distilled water is best.
- Keep your car in a well-insulated garage or consider insulating the battery during Sterling Heights’ long, cold winters.
- Avoid short trips – starting the car for a short period of time drains the battery, particularly in cold climates.
- Avoid charging your electronic devices when the car is not in use.
If you have trouble with maintaining your car battery, please do not hesitate to contact us at Battery Shack. Your local battery experts will be happy to address any questions or concerns you may have, as well as repair or replace your battery when necessary. If you are seeking the best car battery service in Sterling Heights, MI, we are here for you.